A Hopewell man is credited with saving a woman's home after a fire last Friday. The man, Eddie Lloyd, suffered severe burns when he grabbed a burning pot inside the home and ran outside. The homeowner and her two children were able to make it out of the house safely.

A Hopewell man is credited with saving a woman's home after a fire last Friday.

The man, Eddie Lloyd, suffered burns when he grabbed a burning pot inside the home and ran outside.

The homeowner and her two children were able to make it out of the house safely. Lloyd says when he saw the woman waving for help, and noticed her house was on fire, he knew he had to do something so that this family didn't lose everything they had.

"I had to stop," said Lloyd. "I had to do something."

Just by looking at this home on State Route 247 in Hopewell, you can't see any signs of the fire from last Friday. The Ontario County Sheriff's Office says that is all thanks to Lloyd. He was driving with his wife when she noticed someone waving them down for help.

"We turned around and went back by and I went really slow and I pulled over on the side of the house," says Lloyd. "I told my wife, Courtney, 'her house is on fire.'"

He continues, "I saw her kids and instantly thought about my kids. When I was younger, I went through a house fire and lost everything and I couldn't let someone else go through the same thing."

Lloyd then jumped into action, running from his car toward the home, asking the homeowner if anyone else was still inside. Everyone was out and safe, and that's when Lloyd went inside to see what he could do to save the home.

"I ran into the kitchen and saw the burning pot in the sink with the water running on it," says Lloyd. "I glanced around real quick to try and find a pot holder, for something and there was nothing there and by the time I looked back the flames were touching the ceiling.

Lloyd grabbed the pot and ran it outside. He has second degree burns on his hands and now has to undergo surgery to repair the most severe burn on his thumb.

"I knew at that point, I made an assessment and I said I am going to get hurt, or she is going to lose her house, so I took getting hurt over her losing her house," says Lloyd.

The owner of the home, Keisha Hilkert, tells us she's thankful for Lloyd's actions.

"The flame that was coming out of the pan, it was big," says Hilkert.

It was a family favorite, fried zucchini. Hilkert had made it many times before. This time she used a bigger pan and put in a little more oil and something unusual happened.

"When I went to lift the lid it blew up on the stove," says Hilkert.

Hilkert used baking soda to douse the fire, but to no avail. The flames were too high to get the pan outside, so she dropped it in the sink, grabbed her five-year-old daughter and her nine-month-old son, and ran out of the house.

"I ran out here," she says, "Ran out to the white line and was just waving my hands. Nobody tapped a brake that I could see."

That is, until Lloyd saw her and doubled back to the house.

Hilkert: "I told them there was a fire in the kitchen and he ran right in the house."

News10NBC: "Were you shocked by that?"

Hilkert: "I was. There was already smoke coming out the back door, so for someone to just run into a house, not knowing what's really going on in there is definitely a hero."

Hilkert had never met the Lloyds. Now, she is counting her blessing and thanking her neighbors.

Hilkert's boyfriend Kyle Lead says, "If Eddie hadn't gotten that out, my guess it would have been up in flames for sure. Overall, we can't thank them enough."

GoFundMe for Lloyd